EVANS 100 GALLON REEF AQUARIUM BUILD

About Me

I am Evan Mc Loughlin and I am from The republic of Ireland. I have decided to do a blog to share some of my experiencies in the reef keeping hobby that may benefit others

Hello

Welcome to my blog which I hope to get some usefull information uploaded in the near future to assist people in the setting
up and runing of a successfull reef aquarium.




I will share my experiences and advice on everything I have learned over the years
on the keeping of fish,corals and invertebrates


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Upgrading to a 100 gallon reef aquarium

Welcome to my reef  aquarium blog, I started keeping marines a couple of years ago after keeping tropicals for nearly 10 years.




I started off by converting my old Rekord 120 litre freshwater aquarium.I will give you some details on this to show you how I started out and got trully bitten by the bug and aim to build a 100 gallon reef tank.

Current Spec



I took a bit of work to upgrade my current tank from tropical to marines so I decided to go all the way and make it  a reef tank!
Although it being small and lessening the risk of loosing loads of money,it still took time and dedication.

My tank is from my local fish store and although it has gone through many changes.


The capacity is still only 125 litres making it a Nano tank.


Using the berlin system with a small amount of sand about 25 kilo's of live rock and an Instant Ocean 800 skimmer, although i know this is overkill it was recommended by a shop, more of a quick sale from the shop as i didn't know what it even was or why I needed it but it does a great job. This skimmer had one problem, the pump in the tank, It took up loads of space so i decided to get a hang on back refugium to stick it in along with the heater.


A resun wavemaker powerhead for flow and a T5's with twin white and actinic tubes 39watts each mounted on top of the tank shining through the open flaps.


Fish


2 percula clown

2 yellow tailed damsell

1 dot dash blenny

1 Javanese damsel fish

2 chromis


Inverts


cleaner shrimp

blue legged hermits

Red legged hermit crabs

Corals


Xenia

various mushrooms

Zoanthids

Green star polyps

euphillyia

pallythoas

Feather Dusters


You can see it on the link at top of page

No comments:

Post a Comment